Friday, June 19, 2009

Posted by Jason

How About I Call You Rude, Instead?

Senator Barbara Boxer (D - CA)is now on my feces list. A few days ago she was in a hearing with Brigadier General Michael Walsh when she asked him a question. In his reply, he called her "ma'am". At that point she rudely interjected with:

"Do me a favor; could you say 'senator' instead of 'ma'am'? It's just a thing, I worked so hard to get that title, so I'd appreciate it, yes, thank you."

ARE YOU FRICKING SERIOUS!?!? It seems Mrs. Senator Boxer has got her panties boxers in a wad. What a -

...well you finish the sentence.

If you haven't clicked on the link above - go ahead so you can see for yourself.

Look, I've never met a decent person that was so wrapped up in their title that they would actually interrupt someone talking to them with a snide request like that. I've talked with CEOs, Presidents of companies, senior executives, and even politicians, and NONE of them have EVER stopped me mid-sentence if I said "Sir" or "Ma'am". Maybe over in California they don't consider "ma'am" a sign of respect, but that's nothing to hold against this BRIGADIER GENERAL. I just can't believe the absolute nerve she had to act this rude! How full of herself is she?!?

Apparently a lot.

Sometimes, of course, 'titles' are important and should always be demanded. How about Dad/dy and Mom/my? I think those should be used by children for the duration of their lives. As for non-parents, children should always use "Mr." and "Mrs/Miss/Ms" (for those senior to you, whether in age or rank) unless that person has told them they don't need to. For myself, I still call older adults that I knew in my childhood with those titles, and I always will. You may think this one is generally a Southern thing, but the "sir" and "ma'am" should always be appended as well when answering.

Maybe it's just me.

Look, you may live somewhere where "sir" or "ma'am" are not used, and you may not have been raised to say them, but I ask you this: can you honestly deny that hearing them is at least just a teeny weeny bit more respectful sounding than just "Yeah" or even "Yes"? If you can deny that, then I think you need to lighten up. It is a universal sign of respect, and this Senator decided to assert her high-and-mightiness by denouncing this general's respectful address and demanding to be referred to as "Senator".

You know, I don't recall her addressing him as "Brigadier General" when she asked her question. I mean, if we're going to be so respectful to each other and pay attention to the hard work employed in earning titles and everything, should the door swing both ways? I'm pretty sure he worked just a little bit harder in earning his title.

Just sayin'.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP